Goodbye bread, hello sweet potato! This week, holistic health and wellness coach, Leslie McDonald a.k.a @balanced_life_leslie, treats us to her healthy version of a breakfast classic - the sausage, egg and cheese sandwich. Read on to find out why the ingredients are so good for you and get a step by step guide on how to make your very own!
It’s the most classic breakfast meal – a sausage egg and cheese sandwich. But since going gluten and dairy free, it’s been hard to give up that sentimental morning meal. Enter sweet potato toast which is not only nutritious, but also delicious, and it makes for the perfect recipe makeover of a classic dish. Sweet potatoes are a low glycemic carbohydrate so they help maintain blood sugar levels instead of raise them like white breads. Elevated blood sugar can cause weight gain, sugar cravings, decreased energy, and inflammation in the body. Sweet potatoes are also a great source of Vitamin A, beneficial for the immune system and skin health, and Vitamin C, beneficial for the immune system, protecting the cells from free radicals, and skin and hair health.
And the cheese? Well, nutritional yeast has a strong cheesy flavor, and is also a good source of B vitamins, which is important for metabolism, brain health and increased energy levels.
Sweet potato toast is extremely versatile. Top it with mashed avocado, hummus, nut butter, and of course an egg! And if you meal prep a few sweet potatoes cooked all at once, all you’ll have to do in the morning is slice the potato and toast it. Almost as easy as sliced bread, but so much healthier!
Sausage Egg & Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 sweet potato
- 4 eggs
- 2 sausages
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil, ghee or coconut oil, divided
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast salt and pepper to taste
1. Poke the sweet potato with a fork 5-10 times and wrap in a damp paper towel.
2. Microwave for 6 minutes.
3. While the potato is cooking heat a pan over medium-high heat and add 1 Tbsp. of cooking fat.
4. Slice the sausage in half, length wise and add to the pan. Cook on each side for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the potato from the microwave and slice into 4, 1.5 inch rounds. Add to the pan with the sausage and cook until brown on both sides (you can also broil the potato rounds for 5 minutes on each side).
|Sliced sweet potato make a great alternative to bread|
6. Remove the potato rounds from the pan and set on a plate. Remove the sausage from the pan and place 2 pieces on 2 of the potato rounds.
7. In a bowl, combine the eggs, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. Mix well.
|Nutritional yeast is gluten free and a great source of Vitamin B. Photo courtesy of bobsredmill.com|
8. Add 1 Tbsp. of cooking fat to the pan and add the scrambled egg mixture to the pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes, mixing occasionally to scramble the eggs.
9. Remove the eggs from the heat and top evenly on the potato rounds with sausage. Add additional nutritional yeast if you want a cheesier flavor. You can also add spinach for some green color!
10. Top the sausage and egg with another potato round and serve.
11. Take a bite of your egg sausage and cheese sandwich and enjoy!