Daisy & Elizabeth is a Brooklyn-based lingerie and swimwear label founded by two friends, Daisy Hartmann and Elizabeth NeSmith. I'm very impressed with these girls! They launched their business one month after receiving their BFA's in Intimate Apparel at the Fashion Institute of Technology. Just like our Loungewear, all Daisy & Elizabeth garments are designed, cut, fit and manufactured in the U.S.A.
1. Tell us about yourselves and your background.
We both moved to New York city from Georgia and Maryland, respectively after high school to attend F.I.T., which is where we met freshman year.
2. What inspired you ladies to become entrepreneurs?
Neither of us wanted to work an entry level job from a cubicle, building someone else's empire so to speak. We wanted to build something that would be our own even if it meant simultaneously working two other jobs just to sustain it.
3. What are some of the primary challenges/obstacles that you face as the owners of your own Lingerie/Swim Brand?
Manufacturing and sourcing domestically is part of the ethos of our brand, but sometimes it can make things a lot more difficult, especially when doing something as niche as lingerie. Not all factories are willing to sew bras and panties, not to mention its hard to reach their minimums if they do!
4. If you could restart your career, what would you change?
Not a whole lot honestly. We've learned something from every mistake we've made as a small business, and it's helped us grow.
5. How do you approach work life and personal life balance?
Our mantra seems to fit somewhere between 'I'll sleep when I'm dead' and 'life's too short to not be happy'.
6. Tell us one tip that you would give a young woman who is trying to advance in her career?
You'll have to make some personal compromises from time to time, but as long as you don't lose your integrity and work hard you can pretty much make anything happen for yourself. (and never underestimate the power of networking!)
7. Anything else you would like to share?
Alexis here! Be sure to check out daisyandelizabeth.com for your dose of Americana, femininity and a free-spirited vibe!Tweet