Today I decided to make my savory cream of wheat for breakfast. My husband (more accustomed to sweet grits and oatmeal) is a little bit intimidated by this one. It is however, so delicious AND healthy.
- Cream of Wheat Hot Cereal (I like the 2 1/2 minute cook time, because there is not difference in taste, and of course it's faster!)
- Milk (I like whole milk, but you can use which ever kind you like, or even soy milk or water). Milk does make it more creamy though.
- Sriracha (Hot Sauce)
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- Salt for taste
The Cooking Instructions:
1. Fill a pot with water, to boil eggs - get this started and wait for it to boil.
2. In the mean time, add 1 1/3 cups of milk (or water or soy milk) into pan, and bring to a boil (be sure to watch this carefully, so the milk doesn't burn).
3. Once the water in point 1 above starts to boil, carefully drop in 2 eggs and set your timer for 7 mins (this ensures that the yolks are runny). If you want harder yolks, boil for longer.
4. Once the milk/water for the cream of wheat starts to lightly boil, slowly add 3 tablespoons of cream of wheat and mix with whisk as you are adding.
*One of the most important steps is to always mix, or the cream of wheat will clump together*
5. Boil the cream of wheat on low heat until it starts to thicken, stirring very frequently with your whisk. Once you like the consistency, turn off heat and let cool for a few minutes.
6. Your eggs should be finished boiling just about now. Pour the hot water out of the pot and run cold water over the eggs in the pot (this prevents the eggs from cooking further and also makes them easier to handle).
7. Peel egg shells.
8. Pour cream of wheat into bowl.
9. Slice eggs in half and place in cream of wheat.
10. Sprinkle chives and sriracha sauce over cream of wheat and eggs.
11. Add salt for taste.
Your bowl should look something like this!
Now go and enjoy!