We asked skincare specialist Jasmina Vico about her top tips for getting great skin. Read below to see how you can transform yours and get the glow!
Unfortunately, there are no quick fixes to great skin. The trick is to follow a skincare regime that is tailored to you and your lifestyle, and to stick to it. Our skin is the largest organ: it has a protective function and therefore endures a lot. It’s indicative of our overall health and well being so for me, looking after it is essential – and less about vanity. I encourage and educate all my clients on the importance of our skin’s health, which starts on the inside, not just it’s surface.
What would you recommend as 5 of the best skincare products out there?
|Jasmina is a big fan of the SkinCeuticals products which offer great alternatives to cosmetic surgery. Source: www.snohomishnaturopathic.com|
The below products are some of my personal favourites and ones that I use on my clients, and all include advanced ingredients that both protect and nourish my skin.
1. SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic - An advanced Vitamin C serum that protects skin from the environment or CF Phloretin - depending on your skin type
2. Dermaceutic Foamer 15 - An exfoliating cleansing foam that brightens skin - works on all skin types
3. SkinCeuticals Phyto Corrective Gel - Hydrating and calming - suitable for sensitive skin
4. Valmont Renewing Pack Mask - A healing, rescue mask that is perfect for an instant moisturising boost - suitable for all skin types
5. Dermaceutic K Ceutic SPF 50 - An SPF is essential and this works especially well on dry/mature skin
6. Mineral Radiance UV Defense SPF 50 - Again, essential - this product works on all skin types
What 5 lifestyle habits can we adopt to get glowing skin?
|Omega-3 supplements are great for glowing skin. Source: www.servingjoy.com|
1. Avoid hot showers - Hot water dehydrates the skin so when showering keep your face’s exposure to a minimum.
2. Get 8 hours sleep – My mother’s mantra and still one of the best.
3. Drink plenty of water – Swap that morning Starbucks for a green tea instead which will still give you a caffeine boost. Also, keep a bottle of water with you at all times and on your desk.
4. Take daily supplements - Stock up on Omega-3 supplements essential fatty acids with daily fish oils supplements to keep your skin hydrated and plump from the inside. If you are vegetarian, take flax seed oil daily instead. Magnesium, a frequently disregarded nutrient, is another supplement I recommend to all my clients as it helps to regulate hormones and alkalize the body.
5. Don’t stress - Meditate, take a hot bath with candles, go to a yoga class... whatever relaxes your mind, also relaxes your facial muscles.
What 5 superfoods would you recommend to help improve our skin?
|Green juices and avocados are key for improving skin. *Get the recipe here!* Source: www.nutrirecipes.org|
1. Fermented foods and drink (such as miso, kefir, sauerkraut) contain mighty microbes that flood your body with probiotics, enzymes, and vitamins. Resulting in inside out skincare.
2. Oily fish such as salmon and mackerel. At least two portions a week. Just look at Japanese women and their amazing skin for evidence that it works!
3. I swear by a fresh carrot, lemon, and ginger juice a couple of times a week for a glow. I love what it does to my skin tone – and juices are an easy way to feed my skin with essential vitamins (particularly A & C).
4. Avocados: a dose of healthy fat that is plump skin’s best friend.
5. Dark green vegetables for a dose of vitamins that heal the gut and look after your skin. I love kale, spinach, broccoli, and chard which can all be added to a green juice!
What are 5 of the newest, most exciting skin treatments right now?
|Jasmina Vico offers her range of skin treatments at Hari's salon in Chelsea, London|
Again, skin treatments should be tailored to individual needs. We are all unique, and our skin will require different approaches. Personally, I really love skin peels for targeting conditions such as pigmentation and for skin brightening, but for me the most exciting and transforming treatments are lasers: see below!
What 5 alternatives to cosmetic surgery would you recommend to help get younger looking skin?
|Jasmina recommends INNOpen to help treat scars. Source: www.haloaesthetics.co.uk|
Skin rejuvenation laser treatments which encourage collagen remodelling and plumping without the use of injectables are the treatments that really do make the difference when it comes to your skin looking its best. I recommend the 4D and 3D Fotona laser. Skin is treated using a 4-step approach, targeting the very deepest layers of the skin – including the inside of the mouth. During the treatment, the interior of the mouth is heated up creating a thermal reaction that results in skin tightening. I should mention that this is pain free! The following steps involve a process of skin ablation, requiring a minimum down time. Laser works by creating micro injuries that essentially trick your body into repairing itself. The Nano fractional radio frequency plays the starring role in dramatically lowering the down time of these treatments. After my clients have this treatment they always receive comments on how great and radiant their skin looks – rather than being asked if they’ve had work done. Less is more!
INNOPen aka micro-needling which I recommend for scar revision, treating stretch marks, pigmentation reduction, as well as skin rejuvenation. It’s a precise and effective treatment that has great results.
Lip plumping can be achieved with a laser by working inside the mouth as well as outside on the lips. It feels like warm water drops and results in a fuller lip by, on average, 10-15%.
We hope this gave you some great tips so you too can get beautiful, glowing skin without cosmetic surgery!